Worship at St. Mary of the Hills
At the heart of St. Mary of the Hills life and purpose is the worship of God. The church holds a full schedule of daily services, as well as baptisms, confirmations, healing services, weddings, memorials and funerals. Contact the church office at 828-295-7323 to schedule services and events.
At St. Mary of the Hills, all persons who seek God and are drawn to Christ are welcome to receive the Sacrament of Holy Eucharist.
Regular Worship Schedule
[audio files of Sunday's services are available for approximately one month - see below]
- 8:00 AM Holy Eucharist
- 9:00 AM Sunday school
- 10:10 AM Holy Eucharist
Monday and Tuesday Services:
- 8:30 AM Morning Prayer
- 12:00 PM Eucharist and Healing Service
Fridays and Saturdays:
- No Daily office
- Church Office Closed
One Sunday of each month May through October at 3:30 PM:
2019 Evensong dates - NOTE: The service is preceded by an Organ Concert at 3 pm (recordings of these recitals and Evensong are archived on the 'Music' page)
- Please see the information below or contact the church office at 828-295-7323 for more information.
Audio Files of Recent Services
Third Sunday after Epiphany - 1/27/19
Lessons - Nehemiah 8:1-3, 5-6, 8-10, Psalm 19, I Corinthians 12:12-31a, Luke 4:14-21; Sermon [Mtr. Linda - The holy diversity of the Body of Christ]; Offertory motet - Marenzio, Tribus miraculis.
Fourth Sunday after Epiphany - 2/3/19
Lessons - Jeremiah 1:4-10, Psalm 71:1-6, I Corinthians 13:1-13, Luke 4:21-30; Sermon [Mtr. Linda - Discerning our calling]; Offertory anthem - Bloch, Silent Devotion and Response, from Sacred Service.
Fifth Sunday after Epiphany - 2/10/19
Lessons - Isaiah 6:1-8, Psalm 138, I Corinthians 15:1-11, Luke 5:1-11; Sermon [Mtr. Linda - Be fishers of people]; Offertory anthem - Wood, "Twas in the year that king Uzziah died.
Sixth Sunday after Epiphany - 2/17/19
Lessons - Jeremiah 17:5-10, Psalm 1, I Corinthians 15:12-20, Luke 6:17-26; Sermon [Mtr. Linda - The promise of Joy]; [Guest organist - Ted Stewart].
Annual Calendar of Worship Services and Related Events
The following calendar provides a general chronological list of annual services and related activities. For specific dates and times, please refer to the parish newsletter or contact the Church office.
- November 1 – All Saint’s Day Liturgy
- November 2 – All Soul’s Day. The service on this day helps us experience the meaning of "the communion of saints" and celebrates all of the people in our lives, known and unknown, who have died.
- Community Thanksgiving Service – community service of Thanksgiving held on the Wednesday evening prior to Thanksgiving. Services rotate annually between local churches.
- Parish Thanksgiving Celebration – 11 am service.
- Lessons and Carols on a Sunday in Advent – led by the St. Mary’s choir, this service sets the stage for Advent leading up to Christmas (Dec. 9, 2018 @ 2 pm).
- Community Advent Walk – Second Sunday in Advent. Celebration begins at Rumple Presbyterian Church, followed by St. Mary's and finishing at First Baptist Church. There is a 15-minute service at each church followed by cookies and beverages at First Baptist.
- Madrigal Feast - The Revels of Winter (thank you for a successful run in 2017!)
- Christmas Eve, 5:00 pm – Children’s Pageant and Eucharist (contact Nioucha for information - all children welcome! come at 3:45 to get a costume, 4:30 if you're coming with one already on)
- Christmas Eve, 10:00 pm – Choral prelude before mass.
- Christmas Eve, 10:30 pm – Christmas Eve Eucharist
- Christmas Day, 12 noon – First Mass of Christmas
- Shrove Tuesday/Pancake supper
- Lenten activities, including the Stations of the Cross and simple supper on Fridays
- Palm Sunday at St. Mary's – blessing of the palms and distribution during services
- Maundy Thursday – 7:00 pm Holy Eucharist, including foot washing and stripping of the altar. Following the service, members volunteer to keep vigil over the Host during the period following the service through Good Friday.
- Good Friday - noon Eucharist, 3 pm Stations of the Cross for children & parents, 7 pm Stations of the Cross
- Holy Saturday – Commemoration of the Burial of Jesus in the morning, 8:30 am
- Great Vigil of Easter - 7:30 p.m. Sunday
- Easter Sunday – Holy Eucharist service at 8 am, flowering of the Cross 9:45, Holy Eucharist 10:10, reception & Easter egg hunt 11:45 a.m.
- Ascension Service – celebrated forty days following Easter to mark the ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ to Heaven.
- Pentecost – the seventh Sunday after Easter, the Day of Pentecost is identified as one of the seven principal feasts of the church year in the world. As used in the New Testament, the term means the coming of the Spirit on the day of Pentecost, shortly after Jesus’ death, resurrection and ascension. Wear red!
- Blessing of the Animals: Held in conjunction with the Feast of St. Francis on Sunday afternoon (October 1st, 2017 @ 2 pm), this annual event offers an opportunity for "all creatures great and small" to receive a blessing from St. Mary’s clergy. The church family welcomes all types of pets - dogs, cats, goldfish, horses, lizards – even insects.
- All Hallows Eve Services and Supper. A spooky, festive and fun liturgy, where members are invited to dress in costume. A brief service is followed by trick-or-treating and a chili supper provided by the Men’s Breakfast Group.